Mike20PR Mike20PR is offline   Thread Starter  
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Sprint Mogul aka Titan named phone of the year 2008

The HTC Titan has been picked as phone of the year.. Even though it's over a year old...

PhoneNews.com picks the phone which changed the industry the most in 2008.

What’s probably the most shocking thing about our pick is, not only is it not iPhone 3G, but it wasn’t even released this year. Read more to see what phone it is, and why.

Many don’t know the HTC Titan by its original name. But most have at least heard of Sprint’s HTC Mogul, the Verizon Wireless XV6800, or Alltel’s HTC PPC-6800. The phone originally shipped on Sprint in late 2007, and had a couple of GSM siblings; the AT&T 8525 (Hermes) and T-Mobile Wing.

But unlike its GSM counterparts, the Titan has changed the wireless industry, in several key ways.

First, the device made quite clear that software updates can add major new features, across carriers. iPhone set a new benchmark last year, where we coined the phrase iPhone wants to be updated. Apple’s iTunes-updating solution told the industry that they were wrong to make people buy new hardware in order to get new software. Unfortunately, most of the wireless industry did what it usually does: bury its head in the sand.

The Titan was the exception to the rule. No device, aside from iPhone, has received more software updates. And, it arguably received more new features than iPhone. When the device shipped, it carried Windows Mobile 6.0, and the original version of EV-DO 3G speeds. No GPS, no other modern features.

First, Sprint added their Music Store. Then came EV-DO Rev A. Then came Sprint Navigation, complete with unlocked GPS. Around this time, hackers spun off the EV-DO Rev A fun for Verizon Wireless. Sprint then issued Sprint TV, making the Mogul their most powerful phone, and the first smartphone to carry all of their consumer advanced features.

Hackers then uped the ante over on Verizon, combining GPS and EV-DO Rev A, before Verizon even offered their first firmware update. Then came Verizon’s first firmware update… and after hackers had done all of Verizon’s “hard” work, Verizon managed to step in, neutering their GPS only to their VZ Navigator.

Then Verizon claimed that they weren’t hindering it.
Then hackers deleted the hindrance.
Then they admitted that they were hindering their customers.
Then they claimed that they weren’t hindering their customers.
Now they’ve promised to fix the problem… if you buy a new phone, and probably sign a new contract.

Got all that? Good. Thanks Verizon, you make our jobs even more secure with every customer you tick off. Nobody else in the mobile media was able to keep track of this saga, except PhoneNews.com.

So why does all of this add up to making the HTC Titan the phone of the year? Unlike iPhone, the industry did actually change because of the HTC Titan. Customers have shown that they want to keep a high-end device which has all of today’s network technology. I see no reason to pay full price, or sign a new contract, to upgrade… did I mention the phone is over a year old?

In such a fast-paced wireless industry, for a phone to stay current for that long, at the top of the feature set game, is simply shocking.

The other reason, is the iPod touch 2G. Thanks to it, you can have your cake and eat it too. Slinging Wi-Fi from the Titan to an iPod touch 2G is not only easy, the FCC appears to have made it free, too. Some said that was notion was taboo, but our readers (and staff) have found it to be the best of both worlds. You get an unlocked device that can run any app, and you get the benefits of the iPod touch’s web browser, email, iPod, and App Store.

On top of all that, the HTC Titan delivers turn-by-turn GPS navigation with not one, but seven different solutions. From TeleNav to Garmin, it just works (well, unless you’re on Verizon, then you need one more thing)

Oh, and one more thing. A Titan and iPod touch 2G wind up being cheaper for most too. In a typical case, rather than paying $200 to $400 for an walled-garden iPhone 3G, an iPod touch costs around $200, and an Titan runs for about $100 to $200 on eBay.

But, wait a minute, you forgot the real cost of wireless… your service plan. Sprint and Verizon deliver better data add-ons that cost less money. And, unlike iPhone, you can even opt for a data-only plan. Heck, you can even re-program it to work on MetroPCS if you’re willing to work for it.

In short, we would have given the award of Phone of The Year to iPhone 3G. But the Titan’s ability to be paired with an iPod touch, for less money, and more utility… not to mention its ability to change the entire wireless industry… made this an easy choice for us.

Code

http://www.phonenews.com/editorial-the-phone-of-the-year-5886/#more-5886

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Sprint Mogul aka Titan named phone of the year 2008

Yes I would agree this was the phone of the year!!!!!!! Loved my Mogul :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by GokuSS3 View Post

Yes I would agree this was the phone of the year!!!!!!! Loved my Mogul :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
i agree with the review, just think on why the iphone is so popular... it wasnt exactly the best device but it changed the game forever, same goes to the mogul but it has taken it even further and still kept up in the game with a passion, it has gone from 6.0 to 6.1, no gps to gps, crappy internet speeds to evdo rev-a, htc home to touchflo cube to manila2d so on and so fourth... and it still keeps going till today and even further unlike the iphone that needed to release a 2nd gen model just to get 3g speeds

touch pro users gotta admit it, they may have a better device but the mogul paved the way for them

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i love my 128 meg of ram mogul :>
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

the legend lives on......

Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 PM

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

That no far to have a 128mb Mogul I want one lmao!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 AM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahhaha goku and mike its soooooo nice trust me :> i have it on the mantle at home in a air tight sealed display casE :>
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

hahhaha goku and mike its soooooo nice trust me :> i have it on the mantle at home in a air tight sealed display casE :>
how bout a pic of you trophy!!!???

Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 AM

its at home and ive been in michigan for the past week and will post when i get back on the 27th.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM

its at home and ive been in michigan for the past week and will post when i get back on the 27th.
Yes!!! we shall see the Legend like Mike says. I want screen shot of it on info lmao saying 128mg Yeah!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 AM

“ Originally Posted by GokuSS3 View Post

Yes!!! we shall see the Legend like Mike says. I want screen shot of it on info lmao saying 128mg Yeah!!!!
hahha i already had the, up once but we lost attachments and i didnt save the files.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 PM

hahha i already had the, up once but we lost attachments and i didnt save the files.
Lmao all good I just want a 128mb Mogul just jealous haha

Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Mogul
Mobile Carrier: sprint

View BladeDog29's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View BladeDog29's Photo Album Add BladeDog29's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

i agree with the review, just think on why the iphone is so popular... it wasnt exactly the best device but it changed the game forever, same goes to the mogul but it has taken it even further and still kept up in the game with a passion, it has gone from 6.0 to 6.1, no gps to gps, crappy internet speeds to evdo rev-a, htc home to touchflo cube to manila2d so on and so fourth... and it still keeps going till today and even further unlike the iphone that needed to release a 2nd gen model just to get 3g speeds

touch pro users gotta admit it, they may have a better device but the mogul paved the way for them
I'm with you on that man, I had my Mogul a while now and I loved it, still do but now I'm getting ready to pass it on to my little brother because I just went to a Touch Pro..
Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Mobile Model: htc ppc6800
Mobile Carrier: sprint

View Ralph925's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Ralph925's Photo Album Add Ralph925's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

The Best Phone Out There, Bar None!!!
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
2008, aka, mogul, named, phone, sprint, titan, year