gadget945 gadget945 is offline   Thread Starter  
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
NEWBIE GUIDE of General Info

HOWDY Newbie!

So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be kewl like (Dash, BigJew, Superman, Iceman, VenumX or any one of the SPJ family; pick a name and insert it here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like they have!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website. Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.

Regarding SmartPhoneJunkies – the folks on this forum are exceedingly helpful. They do, however, have lives and jobs and families. That means that if you post a question and do not get an immediate response, do NOT get snippy about it, reposting with – “what, no one cares” Give it a few hours. Remember the saying – “a lack of planning on your part, does NOT constitute an emergency on my part”

There are some things that you will need to figure out before you get too far into it. This is something that I would have loved to know before I started on this journey myself. The language is a bit intimidating if you don’t know it, if you’re not comfortable with it, just take a break and google it.

QUICK BREAKDOWN OF THINGS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC. Need Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
1.Make – aka manufacturer
2.Model – numbers and name, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
3.Version – CDMA or GSM
4.Carrier – who you pay your bill to. Sprint, Verizon, ATT
THESE THINGS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT, a lot of the stuff available to modify your setup is specific and based on the above.

II.PC or laptop with web access, you should have information about your setup

1.PC or laptop – windows based or mac, some programs are only for Windows
2.Version you are using – 32 or 64 bit XP, mac, linux, redhat, etc.
3.How do you connect your PPC to your system? ActiveSync, SyncCenter, etc. make sure it works
4.Make sure your data cable works, should have gotten one with the phone
5.Storage card, it works, how big it is and what kind, know how to format it.
6.Setup a folder, somewhere you can find it easily, for all the cool things you will wind up downloading. Saves time!
7.Know your antivirus – some apps you download will set it off. Check thread, usually things are tested before being posted, use at your own risk.

III.Backing up your information.
Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions! There are others that are free, you just need to look for them. Some aren't free but work well too. Your options are endless. Again, google is your friend.

IV. Patience and more patience.
Are you comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult. First and foremost – I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR.

Just a little bit more....
First – depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept. If you ever have to return your handset for repairs, it will typically need to be in it's original state.

Second – do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Depending on what you want to do, yes, you will have to. Not really all that hard to do. Typically done with an unlocker, which is specific to model and carrier and type, and if you decide you want to and find the unlocker, go ahead and download the relocker too; keep them where you can find them.

Third – do you want to change the ROM? Think of the ROM as your OS, it's got all the good stuff in it to make things go fast and look kewl. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

Fourth - Themes??? Just totally awesome kinds of them out there, lots of talented folks that make these. Some are more tricky to install than others, just read the instructions.

Fifth - APPS, CABS, HACKS, TWEAKS, OH MY... There are soooo many cool things that you can add in. Make your Mogul look like an iphone, make your iphone do things apple never told you about, make your TouchPro a wifi hotspot. The possibilities are endless. Look around at what you can find, be mindful of compatibility with your handset, READ the instructions.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and relax for a bit before you head off into the wonderful wealth of stuff that SPJ has to offer you!

Hopefully this has helped you. Please make sure that you post your introduction and that you follow the rules that you should have already read.

Good Luck and Have Fun! Be respectful to others! Don't forget to hit that "THANKS" button if anyone has helped you!

The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Booyah!!! Nice, and stickied it up for ya

Hmmm, looks like Venum is sticking it up now

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: NEWBIE GUIDE of General Info

wow very nice and i like thre style of writing def a stickie and thanks for the great guide
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 AM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Great job Gadget.Hopefully all the new members can benefit this.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM
ADMIN-Watch what you say!
Mobile Model: Touch PRO2, Mogul
Mobile Carrier: On the NOW Network

Thanked 6,030 Times in 1,977 Posts

View BiG JeW's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View BiG JeW's Photo Album Add BiG JeW's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

So far the only "thanks" have been from long time members or staff.. I hope your right PB! thanks GadgeT!! Looks good!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
general, guide, info, newbie, noob, starting